Basic procedures to use the olfactometer here.
Please find here the different scripts that are mandatory to :
- establish the communication between the olfactometer and the computer (oInit)
- send in memory the information of which valve you want to open (the odor you want the participant to receive) (oStimulus)
- send in memory the information you want to close the valve (oInterStimulus)
- apply the changes loaded in memory (oCommit)
- and close the comunication with the olfactometer (oClose)
A very important point is that if the script crashes while the communication between the computer and the olfactometer is not closed, you will have to turn the olfactometer "off", then "on" again and re-launch matlab to be able to re-open a proper communication then to re-launch your script again. That is why some experimenters prefer to open and to close the communication between their experimental blocks.
Otherwise, the basic temporal sequence is the following one:
- You establish de communication with oInit.m,
- you load in memory which valve you want to open with oStimulus.m,
- you apply the changes done in memory with oCommit.m (the valve is then actually opened),
- you wait the time you want the valve to be opened
- you load in memory the order that you want to close the valve with oInterStimulus.m
- you apply the changes done in memory with oCommit.m (the valve is then closed)
- You close the communication with oClose.m.